Getting out of my head

     When I am alone, I often get stuck in my own head and it is so hard to get out of it. When I was still studying in school I had immense difficulty focusing on just about anything, that it makes everything so very hard to do. Sometimes I often make a fool of myself because I try to make a joke or get peoples attention during a serious situation and I often get in trouble with it.

    Though, sometimes it has it perks, like when I am doing something that I love to do, I can just do it for hours and feel immense joy from it. So it is not always bad. I guess it is just on certain situations, I guess.

    But most of the time it is important I get myself out of my own head because whenever I stay stuck in it I often feel useless every single time. Like when there is a difficult situation going on and I am just trap in my own head, people around me will condemn me for being so useless or when I am just lost in my own negativity that I often feel like crying and wishing I could just die. That is why, for me, I have to leave my own head sometimes.

    We talk about leaving our own heads, but why does this even happen. Why do we even get stuck in there, in the first place. There is a bunch of reasons, but to sum it up for my situation it is because.

  • Social Media - I can't stress how often I get mentally turbulent looking at the post of my former classmates and friends. I just can't help myself comparing myself to them, wondering how I too can get what they have, and wondering what have I done for myself and others. Sometimes this is a good wake up call to be honest but when done in excess this has kept me depressed for months.
  • Past Trauma - Everybody has things we regret and don't ever wish to talk about and ironically it just keeps popping out every now and then.
  • Excitement - Sometimes I get excited for things I want to do. Sometimes these things aren't things I want to do right now and it just get's in the way. I honestly have no solution for this and all I can do is just try and focus on the task at hand. Because if I pay attention to it, I end up doing it for hours and I basically skipped out on what I actually needed to do at the time.
    For me these are the three main things that keep me in my own noggin.
    Now, how I actually leave or stay out of my own brain. I summed it up into these things:
  • Have anchor - Have something that keeps you focused. Sometimes, I want to go on a date with someone I love, so I work hard on the task at hand. 
  • Engage with the task - Just plainly listen, won't help me absorb whatever they are saying to me so I try to ask questions like why do you like this, why does it work, or can you give me another analogy because I can't wrap my head around it.
  • Power nap - Sometimes, the best way to get out of your head is to shut off your head completely. I can't stress enough how much this helps me. there was a time I had to memorize an entire chapter and the words just keep blending in my head.
  • Take it slow - When you aren't in a hurry and you want to gain quality information on any given task, then this is the way to go. Sometimes we just can't brute force it. Taking it slow often helps me slow down my brain and return to sanity.
  • Just try to talk to someone - This is the best method albeit the most time consuming. This heavily coincides with having an anchor. Talking to someone is very therapeutic. Though sometimes I just want them to listen without saying a word and go out for some ice cream after because I don't know what to or accept their help, advice or criticism. I am a very timid person and sometimes I feel like I have low self esteem, and I just want to talk about what is hurting me and at the same time I want to solve it myself.
    That is the end of how I get myself out of my own noggin, and I am curious how any of you get through it.

Comments